Wednesday, August 10, 2011

TEENAGE SURPRISE

Madi is turning 13 this week; however we will be spending her birthday in Moab. (she wasn't very happy about this at first; however we told her she could invite a friend to come along) Because our plan was to be in Moab for her birthday, I told her we could plan her party after we got back. Little did she know I had a big surprise for her before Moab.

I had been planning a surprise party for her for months and going to Moab created the perfect opportunity for the surprise. Melissa had Madi babysit for her the day of the party, so I could get everything prepared. I spent the day making black and white cupcakes with purple sprinkles and Hershey's candy bars on top - Madi's favorite candy bar. I also decorated the back yard with exterior lighting and purple Chinese paper lanterns. We rented a large blowup movie screen so the girls could watch a late night movie in the back yard.

The theme of the party was black/white and purple - Justin Bieber colors of course. The invitations were sent to her friends by stealing Madi's phone at night and grabbing all of her contacts. I had to text all of her friends outside of the neighborhood and ask them to forward me their addresses. What made it difficult, is Madi has code names for all of her friends, so I had to ask her questions and find out who was who without giving away my plan.

I told Madi we were going to have taco's for dinner, she was so excited, so when Melissa dropped her off - I broke the news to her and told her that I invited Grammie and Papa over for dinner, so there was a change of plans on the menu. She was so disappointed. I told her to come into the backyard and this is when her friends all yelled Happy Birthday! (She had no idea - the funny thing is, she heard the music playing in the backyard when Melissa dropped her off, she started to go to the back and Melissa told her to go into the house.)

We had a BBQ and a chocolate fountain, then girls all made locker magnets out of bottle caps. We played some games including the spoon on a string game, which was a big hit. After which the girls all watched You Again. We brought the popcorn machine out and served popcorn to all the girls. They all had big pillows and air mattresses on the ground to sit on while they enjoyed the movie.

I sent all the girls home with a berry lotion from bath and Body works and thanked them for "Berry" much for celebrating Madi's birthday!

It was so much fun planning this surprise for Madi - her friends are all so sweet and fun!

No comments: