I have to start this post out by saying, I have never had a child quite like Reagan... She is super inquisitive, very strong willed (or spirited),funny as all get out, sticky sweet at times and gets into so much trouble!
Monday afternoon I was upstairs folding laundry, Reagan was by my side as always and I asked her if her wanted to go play in the playroom. She said "OK" and within moments was back at my side with a couple of bean bags. She asked if they belong to her and I said "Sure." She was very excited, I wasn't sure why because we have had those bean bags since Madison was a little girl. She wanted to know if she could keep one downstairs and I said that was fine, because she has a toy box in the family room. She began asking more questions like, how am I going to get it up there. I was confused by this comment because the toy box was on the floor, so I just responded by saying "You'll figure it out." She disappeared and within moments she was back at my side saying "I pushed the 8 and the 5." I had no idea what this was in reference too, so I kept folding clothes.
I couple minutes later, Madi called up the stairs and asked if Jaxson had put a "EDY" (warming corn bag) in the microwave this morning? She told me that the microwave was smoking and he may have left it in there too long. I told her yes; while I was coming down the stairs; however I was confused because the microwave had not been on and it was 5:00 PM.
As I entered the kitchen, the whole room was full of smoke and you couldn't breathe. I looked in the microwave and found the bean bag that Reagan had taken downstairs sitting on the shelf in the microwave, burnt to a crisp. The once tan colored bag, was now black, burnt open with charred beans inside. The bag was smoking and had orange sparks coming of the bag ready for the makings of a fire. The microwave was dark brown and the rack in the microwave was black. i quickly picked up the burning bag (with my fingers, not the smartest idea) and moved to to the sink to extinguish the flames. While i was doing this, I ask Madi to open the doors and windows - at this time we are both coughing and choking up from the smoke in the house.
The microwave had 1 minute and 12 seconds registered left on the timer when Madi opened the door. From my calculations, if Reagan hit the 8 button and then the 5; the microwave had been on for 3 minutes and 48 seconds. (The buttons 1 - 6 have a express start and begin the microwave immediately) This meant when she pushed the 5 button the microwave began for 5 minutes. In 3 minutes and 48 seconds, while she was under my care, my daughter almost started my house on fire! What am I going to do with her?
It is now Wednesday, and we have left our windows open for days, cooked cinnamon sugar in the oven, boiled lemons in the microwave, turned on all the fans and my house still smells like we have had a fire. Its lovely!
This moment takes me back to a couple of years ago when we turned on the fireplace and the house smelled terrible (like burnt plastic). All of a sudden something yellow started dripping out of the fireplace. I didn't know what it was, so we turned off the fireplace and I looked on top of it and noticed several of Reagan's plastic silverware from you kitchen, shoved back into the fireplace - melted - fumigating our home. I waited for the fireplace to cool down and I tried to get the silverware out, but it was stuck! I turned the fireplace back on to melt them again and I scraped and scraped the silverware out of there with a knife. WE never quite got all the residue out. Like the microwave incident, I tried burning it out by turning on the fireplace and opening all the windows to let the smell escape. To this day every time we turn on the fireplace, it still reeks of burned plastic.
I guess I am grateful all my children are not like this cute little one! (and grateful to Madi for finding our soon to be fire in the microwave.) i just wonder what would have happened if she hadn't of caught it when she did.



1 comment:
Oh that girl. What a mess. I hope you have gotten the smell out. Good luck with her. I hate to laugh but that is so Reagan.
Post a Comment