Tuesday, September 21, 2010

CAMPING - OR NOT TO CAMP?


My family decided it would be fun to go on a camping together this year. We were on the fence for quite a while, knowing that we are not campers and the plan was to go a week after we got back from Lake Powell camping. Going twice in a a year is a stretch for us, let alone twice in one month.

The first evening we set up camp and Scott and Ali proceeding to make dutch oven chicken with potatoes and vegetables. It was Delicious!

Going during the middle of September was very chilly at night - I had no idea what to expect, but this was not it. The days were gorgeous but the nights were freezing. The first night, I held the leftover dinner in a Ziploc bag to try and keep me warm. Surprisingly it worked really well.

On Saturday, we took the kids down to the lake - the water was low, but the sun was shining. Most of us girls sat out on lawn chairs and read, while the guys walked around the lake with the kids. Some of them even swam and fished. We spent a lot of time playing card games and eating good food! At least with this camping trip I didn't have to worry about scorpions, plus there was a toilet (it didn't flush, did we had a real outhouse).

Saturday night Dan and I were in charge of dinner, we made spaghetti and garlic rolls in the dutch oven. We also tried some new recipes in the dutch oven for dessert (pumpkin spice cake and a Carmel, raisin cake), both were delicious - we were all just really full.

Later that night Chip, Scott, Dad and Dan took the kids out on a snip hunt. They all really got into it. Scott had flashing red lights that they told the kids were the beady eyes of the snipe. I think Jaxson was really frightened, when Scott said he had been bitten by a snipe.

Sunday morning after breakfast we packed up and headed home. Not my ideal vacation - too much work for 2 days of camping. (Packing, set up, take down, clean up laundry, put away, etc.) I much prefer someone to make my bed while on vacation. That being said - it was a great way to spend time with my family - I would do it again, but not in September. It needs to be much warmer in order for me to go camping again.

No comments: