I have often complained about my birthday and sometimes the gifts I receive from my husband. Through the years I have had some funny memories of gifts he has shared with me.
Take for example the year I had to go to the mall to get a gift certificate for a wedding, Dan responded by saying I need to go to the mall too. In the 15 minutes it took me to get the certificate Dan had purchased all of my presents. The next morning I woke up to Dan giving me a Levi jacket (although cute, he gave me one the year before for my birthday) a shawl from Sears and a green turtle neck (very skinny long necked) sweater. Needless to say his 15 minute shopping trip didn't turn out so well and everything went back.
Then there was the year that Dan gave me a red cape for Christmas, it even had a muff. It was a wool coat that had slots for my arms to come out and put in the muff/pocket in front. I almost cried when he gave it to me. he told me it was red (which is my favorite color) and that it was from Dillard's. We also told me his mother liked it. I told him that should of been his first clue. That present went back to the store as well.
Then there was the year that for my birthday he took me water skiing on Willard Bay. It was the end of September and it was cold. A storm was coming in and nobody was out on the lake except us. Now this would be a great story if I was a die hard water skier, but I don't like water skiing. Boating was Dan's thing, so my birthday was just an excuse to get on the lake.
I also remember the year I was pregnant with Jaxson and all I wanted for Christmas was a new outfit to wear. I cant remember a Christmas that I didn't have something new to wear and I look forward to this every year. When I opened my gift on Christmas I pulled out a pair of sweats. I was so disappointed because the last thing I wanted was a pair of sweats. Being pregnant I already felt fat and ugly and I wanted something to make me feel beautiful. Although Dan didn't know at the time, I went upstairs and cried in the bathroom.
My brother recently reminded me of the time Dan gave me a psychic reading for my birthday. He was so excited about it and thought it was going to change my life. All I can remember is thinking why would he buy me a psychic reading and not being very pleased about my gift.
Since that time Dan and I have talked and he makes sure that I have something new to wear every year; however the condition is that I pick it out first. This has been working well.
I don't want you to think that Dan isn't thoughtful, because he is. He loves giving and most of the time does a great job (if he plans ahead). One year the kids and him gave me a red ipod with an engraving on the back MOM ROCKS! This was a great gift, it only took me a year and 1/2 to start using it.
This year Dan planned the best birthday and I wanted to write it down, so I wouldn't forget what a happy day it was for me and how his efforts (for the good) did not go unnoticed. My birthday happened to fall on a Sunday this year and i wasn't really looking forward to it. Mostly because we are currently the nursery leaders in the ward and I wasn't thrilled to babysit on my birthday. Let's face it, I don't think anyone hopes for this on their birthday. Anyway, I was feeling pretty blue and sitting in sacrament meeting with Reagan. She was being her usual self, noisy, distracting and all over me. I was getting frustrated because I wanted to listen to the testimony meeting as this is the only time I have to really feel the spirit at church. I told Reagan she was making me so mad and she immediately look at me and with concern and love in her eyes saying "Mommy, I don't want to make you so mad." She melted my heart, which was something I needed and I began to feel the spirit. When sacrament meeting was over, Dan told me that he had found someone to cover nursery for me and that he wanted me to be able to go to class. I was absolutely thrilled! This was the best present he could of given me. Although I can't remember what the lessons were about that day, I soaked them up and thoroughly enjoyed myself and time without the kids.
When we arrived home, I was in a pleasant mood - then Dan and kids gave me my "real" presents (Although I had already been given so much and didn't need anything else). I received the movie Letter to Juliet, which I had been wanting. A gift certificate to the spa to receive a massage and 2 pairs of jeans. Dan even picked out the right style and found them on his own. He was very proud of himself and he should be, because everything was perfect. I didn't even care that the pants were 2 sizes too big. He really got it right this year!
Later that afternoon we went to dinner at my parents house, then ended the day by having our close friends come over for cake and ice cream. IT WAS THE PERFECT BIRTHDAY, spending it with friends, family and the gospel!
Sunday, September 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
You forgot my favorite gift from Dan to you...the psychic reading from Cyd the psychic. You've got to give him points for originality.
Awe, so happy you had a great birthday! I know your pain with not so happy gifts. I will never forget the Christmas Shawn gave me a light fixture for the hallway. Needless to say, I was less than pleased. I cried in the bathroom for quite some time. Glad I can laugh about it now! LOL!
Post a Comment