It has been a world wind of a week and I got to finish it off by celebrating Jaxson's 9th Birthday. I can't believe another year has gone by - Jaxson is the most fun loving kid around and the years seem to go by faster and faster. In only 9 more years, he will graduate from high school (how scary is that?).
When the day of the party arrived, it was a crazy day, Dan had to work and I started decorating cupcakes. We had to pick up the black lights from the party store and I had to do some final shopping for the party. (Like I said it had been a busy, crazy week - I hadn't even bought any presents for Jaxson yet and his birthday is on Monday, which is not like me - I am usually prepared way in advance.)My week consisted of working, making dinner for a neighbor, throwing a going away party for a friend, parent teacher conferences, helping with an open house, going through the temple with Tanner for the first time, volunteering at the food bank, hosting playgroup, visiting teaching, haircuts and doctor's appointments.
We decided to celebrate his birthday with a "Glow In The Dark" theme. We reserved the church, so we could have the party during the day and still have total darkness in the gym to play games. I did a lot of research on the Internet to find out what things would glow in the dark - I ordered glow in the dark glasses, hats, balls, swords, beach balls, bracelets, frisbees and more. I rented a couple of 4 foot black lights to have at the party, in addition to purchasing a few standard black lights.
We headed over to the church about 12:30, as the party was supposed to start at 2:00 PM. When we arrived the Tongan branch was in the building and had taken over the kitchen, I was not happy to say the least and told them they had to leave. This slowed me down, as I couldn't put anything in the kitchen until they were cleaned up. So we started decorating the gym and setting up the lights, come to find out one of the lights we rented, wasn't in the box, the box had no light with only 30 minutes before the party was to begin -I WAS FREAKING OUT! I didn't have a back up plan. Dan called the store and they just said sorry, they didn't have another black light. Jaxson started crying because he thought his party wasn't going to happen. Dan left in search of lights and happened to call a neighbor (Craig Smith) to see if he had any lights. He didn't; however offered to go shopping for us and bring them to the party. Without a doubt he saved the party! As we were setting up decoration, half of the items I had researched to glow in the dark, didn't - oh, well we had plenty of things that did. (White and fluorescent balloons do not glow in the dark, also, Sprite and bright green frosting does not glow in the dark). Because of the fiasco in setting up the lights, the boys started arriving and we were not ready. So we got off to a late start!
The boys were so excited about the party, they couldn't of cared less that we were still setting up. We put together their hats and then played glow in the dark Tornado and Tag. As the party went on, I decided it wasn't a good idea to play glow in the dark Dodge Ball because I was worried about the lights getting broken. So we put them away and the boys went at it. It was crazy and they loved every minute of it. They spent most of the party playing Dodge Ball.
When it was time for cupcakes and ice cream, I pulled the cupcakes out of the fridge and they were wet. The fridge was leaking and dripping right on the cupcakes. Luckily for me, I had extras and the cupcakes were in foil liners which didn't penetrate most of the cupcakes. (What else could go wrong?)
Some of the boys mentioned that this was the best party ever, I wouldn't have agreed with them, I was so stressed out about things not going according to plan - I guess I just have to learn to simplify. I'm glad it worked out as well as it did and that the boys did have a fabulous time.
After the party, I raced home to continue decorating cupcakes for the family party. We decided to do both parties in on the same day considering we had the church. The idea was to play glow in the dark volleyball with the family. It was a rush to finish on time, between baking rolls, decorating cupcakes and picking up pizza, but again things seemed to work out OK.
When everyone arrived, we had dinner and gave everyone their glow in the dark glasses (they were really cool)! We played glow in the dark volley ball for a short time, it was a little difficult with all the toddlers running around, so we finished up the night wish tornado.
By the end of the night I was completely exhausted!
On Monday I checked Jaxson out of school and took him to lunch at Sweet Tomatoes (one of his favorite places). We met Grammie there and after I took him back to school with some treats for his class. Later that afternoon I had some shopping to do, I still had to find presents for Jaxson. I went to Nordstrom because there was a gray and white jacket he had been wanting, which reminded him of Justin Bieber. I knew I had to get him a purple t-shirt and a hat to go with it and I topped it off with some new white tennis shoes. Shopping presented it's own challenges in trying to find the right sizes and needing it today. It took me longer than expected; however I was able to accomplish everything and before dinner.
Monday night we went to dinner with Dan's family at the Pizza Factory. WE thought being a Monday night that it would be easy to get in and bowl. I also had a groupon for dinner and bowling so I was looking forward to not having to spend any additional money. When we arrived there was an 1 1/2 wait for bowling (I just can't seem to get anything to go my way with Jaxson's birthday) I was in tears, when Dan's mom came to the rescue and offered to pay for dinner. This was extremely nice of her and something I didn't expect.
Jaxson loved his presents, he immediately put them on and everyone told him he looked like Justin Bieber; this made him very happy! We picked up a cake on the way to the Pizza Factory - I also bought some trick candles. When Jaxson blew out his candles over and over and over again, we all laughed so hard. It was the funniest moment of the day. I great way to end his birthday. I do the week all over again just to see your smile. I love you bud!
Monday, March 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment