Tuesday, November 15, 2011

FOOTBALL IS MY LIFE!

Jaxson decided to play tackle football this year. What a commitment that turned out to be. The entire month of August he practiced two hours a day, six days a week. When the season started, practices slowed to three nights a week with games on Saturdays. We ended up traveling from Kamas to Magna for games, so needless to say football became our life this fall.

Not only did Jaxson play football, I volunteered to be team mom (now I know why no-one volunteered for this job, it was unlike any other team mom experience I have had in the past.) Basically I had another part time job! It was meetings, packet folders, fundraisers, apparel order forms, weigh-ins, uniforms, pep-rally, game treat reminders, parties, lanyards, banners, player gifts, coaches gifts, half-time treats, end of season banquet; not to mention daily texts and emails. Although it was time consuming, it was worth it! Jaxson had fantastic coaches and the coaches wives were extremely nice and helpful. We had a fun time organizing nacho and pizza parties after practices, swimming party and did lots of fun things for game treat reminders. I will never forget the practice that I did hot chocolate. I had to prepare it ahead of time and it boiled over. My oven has never been the same because the hot chocolate got in between the oven door in the glass. Every time I look at my oven, I am reminded of football because I can't get it clean.

Jaxson played defensive end and tight end this year. He also was in position to play back up quarterback for the team. His team made it to the playoffs and lost in the semi-final game in a bitter cold overtime battle.

Football was a great experience for Jaxson, some days he loved it, some days he didn't. It really depended on whether he had a good game and played his best. He never complained about going to practices - he loved being with his team and made some really good friends. I was so impressed with the coaches and how they loved those boys. They were hard on the them and made them give 100%, however they were always fair and ALWAYS focused on the positive. Their most important goal was that the boys enjoyed playing and would want to play again at the end of the season. The discipline and the unity these boys received over the season was unmatched! It was remarkable to see the respect between the coaches and the players.

We ended the season with a fiesta/taco bar! The boys received amazing posters of them in action throughout the season. They also got dog tags and water bottles with their player numbers. One of the parents made a DVD of the season and handed out a copy to all the boys. Needless to say they didn't go home empty handed.

One of the coaches that night paid me the nicest compliment "He told me he had coached football for many years and had seen a lot of team moms, but never had he had a team mom like me. He told me that I was the best and I made the season so easy for the coaches." That was all I needed, so make me do this job all over again.

No comments: