Saturday, June 23, 2012

BINGHAM MINORS NUMBER ONE

Jaxson discovered his love for playing catcher this year.  Although he only got to play catcher in two games, he loved helping the guys out during practice.
Baseball season was a little rough for the family this year, Jaxson did make the Bingham competitive league; however we weren't thrilled with the coaching staff.  It is amazing how the coaches can make or break a season for you.  This was also the first year I wasn't the team mom for several seasons.  My biggest disappointment with the season was watching Jaxson get upset because they didn't give him many opportunities to excel.  Unfortunately the coaches were too focused on the guys from their last season and didn't give many opportunities to the other kids.  I have never seen Jaxson come home from baseball before crying and this was hard to watch.  Sometimes at practice he would stand in the outfield for 2 hours and just stand there, because they only practiced with the infielders.  Jaxson showed great promise last year and did an awesome job in whatever position the coach put him in.  He really enjoyed playing infield and boy does he have an arm.  It was excited to watch him make great plays throughout the season last year. 
 
In addition to Jaxson's disappointment the Bingham league was very disorganized and we didn't have a schedule until the week the season started (this was only a partial schedule).  We only were able to play Herriman teams this year, compared to last years 4 different cities.  My biggest complaint as a parent was that we never knew when practice was going to be.  We never had a set schedule.  I would get an email sometimes an hour before practice was going to start and this drove me absolutely crazy! Being a person that has to know what is going on and needs to have structure, this did not sit well with me and always put a wrench in our family plans. 
 
The positive note about baseball this year was Mathis Clarke, our next door neighbor was on the team; in addition to his good friend Jaden Quist.  Jaxson really enjoyed being able to play with them and I enjoyed the carpool.
 
Jaxson's team did take first place in the tournament this year, which was a great way to end the season.  I don't think any of us were disappointed for baseball to end this year, which is sad because usually I look so forward to the baseball season.  Here is hoping next year is better (it's time to start thinking about super league, I think.)

No comments: