Sunday, February 22, 2009

LIKE A THIEF IN THE NIGHT

While visiting St. George over the holiday weekend. We left my parents with our kids and Melissa's little one as well. In order to persuade my parents to watch the children so we could have a weekend amongst adults, we bribed them with a babysitter one evening, so they would have the chance to go out for the Valentines. As we were loading up the car to head out of town, Emrey arrived to watch the kids. I had already given Mom the instructions for the weekend and left money on the counter for her to pay Emery when they arrived home; however when my parents did arrive back at the house the money had mysteriously disappeared. Emrey mentioned that Jaxson was playing with some money (and it seemed like more than what I six year old would have), but he told her that it was his and she left it at that. My mom in a panic woke up Jaxson and asked him where the money was. He was delirious and didn't know what she was talking about, or didn't remember where he had put it. So they sent Emrey home without the money and told her they would get it to her sometime tomorrow.

The following morning we called my parents to see how the evening went, so my surprise they told me the story of the missing money. My mom stated that they had found the money, it was in Jaxson's room next to his bank. I asked to speak with Jaxson anyway because I was upset that he lied and stole the money.

Jaxson got on the phone and I proceeded to ask him why he took the money. I also asked him why he lied to Emrey about the money. I definitely laid on the guilt trip of being a thief and a liar and that I was very disappointed in him. I told him Heavenly Father was also disappointed in him and then I asked him if he wanted to go to jail? I decided his punishment should be taking the money directly to Emrey and apologizing to her for taking it and not being honest. I thought about grounding him after all was said and done; however I didn't want to punish my mother.

Six has been a difficult year for Jaxson, first he was our little "vandal" and now he is stealing and lying. I hope seven is better!

2 comments:

Douglas Anderson said...

Well atleast he didn't start at 4 years old. Not too long ago Spencer tried to steal a candy bar by hiding it in his coat at target. Good Luck and please tell me that boys start to be good at some point.

Melissa said...

I still have to laugh about this story. You sure laid on the guilt when you talked to him. Oh the things to look forward to!