This is a little embarrassing to admit, however if you truly know me it will not come as a big shock.
Reagan has been sick this week with the stomach flu. I took her to the doctor yesterday afternoon, just to make sure their wasn't anything else going on. During her routine exam the doctor took her temperature and was worried that it read 105 degrees. That along with her being dehydrated, he decided it would be best to send her up to Primary Children's hospital to receive some fluids. After sitting in the waiting room for over two hours, we finally got admitted into a room. After another hour of waiting they finally proceeded to get Reagan's IV set up. The first nurse couldn't find a vein (probably because she was dehydrated) and decided to call in the "Expert" IV team. Once they arrived they proceed to turn down the lights and use a special light which allows them to see where her veins are. During this process, I was on the other side of Reagan, holding her hand. As she is screaming, because they can't find a vein, I can see them wiggling the needle inside her arm (because of the special light) and I started to get sick.I tried turning away, but still in the process of consoling Reagan, but I knew it wasn't going well. I could feel that I was going to pass out. The doctors brought me over a chair, made me sniff alcohol and stick my head in between my legs, all while they are still trying to find a vein for Reagan. It did take them two tries, the poor little girl. After the IV complete, I still was not well, so they brought me in some apple juice and finally I told them I needed to lie down with Reagan in her bed. This served as two purposes; one - it made Reagan feel better to have me close and two - I was able to regain my composure and be the soothing mommy again. Who is the grown up in this scenario? I guess I should have been really embarrassed; however I was too sick to even think about it at the time.
I do have to say that even with Reagan being as sick as she was, she still let her strong personality come through. After the IV experience, she didn't want anything to do with the doctors. they brought her in a Popsicle and a teddy bear and she would not touch either one. That's my girl!
Friday, February 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Poor Reagan. Sweet thing! I hope she starts feeling better soon!
Poor both of you!! :) I am right there with you. I can't watch when she gets immunization shots. I hate needles!! Miss you guys!
I hope she is feeling better.
Post a Comment