Saturday, November 6, 2010

ALMA THE YOUGER - DISCO STYLE


I was called (yet again) as the roadshow director for our ward this year. Three years ago, I headed up the roadshow and here I am again. The funny thing is - everyone thought I was called again because the roadshow was so fantastic the first time and we took the award for best show; however it turns out that the bishopric forgot that I headed it up the first time. I guess that's what I get for having a creative mind that doesn't stop thinking.

This year the theme was "Have I Done Any Good." I immediately thought of missionary work and thought it would be fun to do the story of Alma the Younger. The previous time we did the roadshow, I set it to the 1950's and we did Grease music (which was a big hit), so this year I thought it would be fun to do 1970's and set the music to Abba. I knew that the music would be fun and we could take advantage of the fun colors used during that time, in addition to the Afro's!

The roadshow started out with King Mosiah and Alma discussing what happened to their kids. They wanted to know where the happy days had gone. They sang SOS asking their Father to help them. The stage was dark with only a table chairs and a lava lamp.

The second scene opened to the sons of Mosiah and Alma the Younger at the disco, trying to convince some of the town to stop going to church, to sin and lie. After they succeeded in getting others to fall away from the church an angel appeared and told them they have a second change to preach the gospel. The angel also told them they were Sons of God and to use their time spreading the gospel plan. The words of the song Dancing Queen were changed for this scene.

The third scene was Alma the Younger recognizing that he needs to repent and live his life to the fullest being a missionary. He sings Take a Chance on Me to his Father in Heaven and asks Alma for his forgiveness.

In the final scene, you see a drastic change in both appearance and attitude with the Sons of Mosiah and Alma the Younger. The Afro wigs and disco clothing is gone, turned in for missionary tags and ties. They have their scriptures in hand and are preaching the gospel to everyone in the street. We closed the show with the song Mamma Mia but changed the words to Missionaries.

With the script being set in the 70's we used all kinds of 70's slang throughout the show, in addition to having some of the cast members be the Brady Bunch. We had all the towns people wearing ti-dye shirts and bell bottoms.

This was a six month project in the making because I had to write the script, figure out the music and encourage the youth to participate. I also had to come up with the choreography, set design and direct the play as well. We had weekly rehearsals for months - however it really paid off in the end. The kids did a fantastic job and I was so proud of them and all of their hard work. Although they didn't give awards out this year - in my heart I know we were the best!

No comments: