Sunday, March 7, 2010

DANCING IN THE RAIN

Dan and I attended the adult session of Stake Conference over the past weekend and I learned something that I will never forget. The message that one of the speakers gave has had a strong impact on me and I hope to continue referring to this message throughout my life when things seem hard and when difficult times seem to never end.

I don't remember the speakers name, all I remember is that he spoke about getting very sick last fall, so much that he was completely paralyzed from the neck down as a virus spread throughout his body. He being a young father, had to 100% rely on the people he loved including his immediate family and his ward family to help get him through this trying time. He had several young children at home which made it difficult for his wife. As he lay in his hospital bed not being able to move, he experienced deep sadness and at the same time deep love for the people servicing his family. He couldn't not believe the charity and kindness that he received during this time in an effort to keep is family going both emotionally and financially.

He did recover and is continuing to recover from his illness. What he said was this simple:

"LIFE IS NOT ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS, IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN!"

When I feel sad or discouraged, I will always remember this message and what it means to me. Life is about living it and not waiting for everything to be perfect, because it will never be perfect. There will always be something that will challenge us or discourage us. It's about learning to be happy in these moments anyway and knowing what things around you that are good!

Too many times I find myself complaining and this small quote has given me new insight on how to handle my trials.

No comments: