Saturday, July 17, 2010

PIONEER WEEK

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Create a digital slideshow
We had pioneer week this week and we started it out with an entertaining Family Night. We talked about the story of Mary Fielding Smith and her travels to the Salt Lake Valley. She was a woman with unwavering faith and endurance to travel across the plains with seven children along. What a remarkable journey she had! We also read some other pioneer stories including one about a six year old immigrant from Sweden, who had to sleep on the floor upon arriving in New York City. Her family had brown sugar bags next to their head and during the middle of the night the kids took spoons and ate as much brown sugar as they could. They talked about being so sick the following day and not caring much for brown sugar after that. During our family night we play Pioneer Jeopardy. The kids played against Dan and they both won. On the very last question, Dan had a daily double and wagered all of his money. He could not answer the question about Chimney Rock, so he lost everything and could not participate in final Jeopardy. We were all laughing hysterically. After the lesson we played some pioneer games, including the stick pull, button button and poor doggie. We also made our own butter and used it for dessert on our homemade rolls and jam.

The following day we took a hike to Doughnut Falls. I was a little nervous about hiking with the kids by myself (without Dan) I wasn't sure how Reagan would do, even though I knew she had the energy to complete the hike. She is just one to want to be held all the time. My fears were soon pushed aside as we head ed up the mountain. The weather was beautiful and the kids had a great time being outdoors and walking the trail. The trail was shorter than I remember, so we were there in no time. Reagan thoroughly enjoyed both throwing rocks and splashing around in the water. Jaxson loved climbing up the mountain and Madi spent her time taking pictures of everyone. At the top we all got out our doughnuts to celebrate our hike. This was the kids favorite part of the journey! Walking back down the mountain I couldn't help but soak in the nature around us. It was a beautiful sight, and I knew I had to start taking my kids on more adventures like this.

On Wednesday I took the kids to This Is The Place Heritage Park. This was only the second time I had ever been to the park. (The first being a month ago at Jaxson's school field trip) On Wednesday's you can get into the park for only $2.00 per person. This was a great value for all day entertainment, and we didn't even see half of the park. I know we will be going up there again before school starts, we all enjoyed it that much. While visiting the park we watched a few productions including the crazy Dr. Quackenbush and his phony potions, and the trial of a cow thief. The kids all got a shave from the barber, they stamped leather, sang at the school house and learned a fun game called Fox and Chickens. We rode the train and the ponies. (I've never seen Reagan smile so big, she was super excited to be riding the ponies.) While on the train she sang the Mickey Mouse Choo Choo Express song. We all participated in pioneer games and chores and even mined for gold. Quite an adventure for one afternoon.

Thursday morning Dan got up and made the family scones for breakfast! They were very tasty. We intended to make homemade ice cream, but the day came and went very quickly.

No comments: