Tuesday, August 24, 2010

MADI TURNS 12

 
Posted by Picasa
 
Posted by Picasa


My little girl is growing up! She turned 12 and has entered Young Women's, gone to girls camp and started Junior High all in the same month. I can't believe what a beautiful girl she is inside and out. I am so proud of her and the person she has become and the young lady she is becoming. She has a beautiful spirit and truly cares for others. She is an amazing big sister to both Jaxson and Reagan. They both look up to her so much. Reagan wants to be with her whenever she is around and follows her like a little lost puppy. She has high standards, wants to choose the right and is a very sweet girl to both her family and friends. (I'm not sure why I am so lucky to be her mother; but I thank my lucky stars every day that I am.)

All Madi wanted for her birthday was a cell phone, she has been asked for one for years and we kept putting it off stating that when she turned 12 or started junior high she could have one. That came much too quickly! We tried to down play it and told her that we couldn't afford a phone right now. I think we were doing pretty good until Jaxson opened up his mouth and told Madi that she was going to love what she was getting for her birthday and that it was something she had been wanting for a long time. Funny thing is, he was talking about a backpack she wanted for school and Madi assumed it was the phone. We put all of Madi's little presents in her backpack including her cell phone and I walked around the house until she noticed that I was wearing it. I placed a present in each pocket (little calculator, razor, mascara and eyelash curler, leggings and shoes) I also put in tickets to go see Tarzan at the Tuachan theater. When she found the phone she was jumping up and down, screaming. I have never seen a bigger smile on her face. For the next couple of weeks her phone was attached at her hip (literally). Hopefully the newness wears off shortly.

In lieu of a birthday party this year, I took Madi to St. George on a girls trip along with our goods friends Jen and Hailey Winterton. We had a complete riot spending some quality time with the girls. We left Thursday morning and when we arrived we started shopping immediately - before we even arrived at the condo. The only unfortunate thing that happened on the way down was the phone call I received from Dan stating that he went into the dining room and found a pink and brown polka-dot bag. (Which was Madi's suitcase) Reagan had been dragging around the bad earlier in the morning and left in there. When we were packing the car, I had (so I thought) all the bad in the mud room ready to go. I didn't even realize it was missing. Thankfully Dan was able to get a hold of the St. George shuttle and drop off her bag, we just had to meet the driver to pick it up. Crisis solved!

After we picked up Madi's bag we made pizza bubble for dinner, watched a chick flick and ate chocolate covered strawberries with sparkling cider. We also became crafty and made our own headbands. They are all the rage today with the skinny headband and the fabric flower on the side. They turned out darling and it was a lot of fun to make them with the girls.

The following morning we got up and headed to the St. George Temple to do baptisms for the dead. This was both Madi and Hailey's first experience, due to them just turning 12. It had been ages since I had completed baptisms and it was a wonderful experience to go and feel of the spirit. The St. George Temple is is the busiest temple for baptisms currently, due to both the Oquirrh Mountain and Draper Temple opening up in the Salt Lake valley. The temple is extremely white and set against the red rocks in St. George it is absolutely beautiful. After we completed our baptisms we went over the the visitor center and I learned something new. There is a picture and a story about the St. George Temple I found fascinating. When the temple first opened the temple president was Wilford Woodruff. He had an experience where the founding fathers of our country appeared to him and asked him for their temple work to be completed. I just goes to show that the hand of God was present when this country was put together. I am grateful for thy hand in all things.

After baptisms we went straight to Las Vegas (what a contrast from the temple) During the drive we listen to 80's music and brought back the good old memories of Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, Madonna, Paula Abdul, etc. We got the girls hooked on Tiffany and it became our theme song for the trip. As we pulled into Vegas we went to the premium outlets to school shop and then we enjoyed dinner at Serendipity 3. The decor and atmosphere here at the restaurant was so much fun.

The following morning we hung out at the pool and soak up the sun rays until check out. We went shopping again and found and H&M. Madi and Hailey were so excited because it stood for there names. We were very successful here with all of our purchases - plus they had good prices!

That evening we headed back to St. George to attend Tarzan at Tuachan. Madi has loved the music from this Broadway play since Dan and I saw it in New York in 2006.

On Sunday morning we soaked up the sun again and then headed home.

The weekend was full of laughter, singing, shopping, silliness and lots of treats! What could be more fun.

I will always remember this trip! My little girl is growing up and it is fun to start sharing the same interests with her and having fun together. I hope we will always be close friends.

No comments: