I got the opportunity to spend the weekend with my brother Jared, his wife Erin and their darling daughter Katilyn this past weekend. I flew out to California because I was conducting a training class for work, and thought why not stay, enjoy the weather and visit my family (besides my ticket was already paid for).
The week leading up to the trip showed the weather as a miserable, rainy weekend. I was disappointed to say the least; (I was really looking forward to seeing the sun and enjoying warmer temps.) however, I knew we would make the best of it and I just wanted a low key weekend anyway.
The morning of the trip was a little crazy because the TSA, gave me the wrong information on my departure gate. After going through a crowed security line in terminal 2, I headed back over to terminal one, as my flight was departing out of gate B18 (so I was told). After I made the journey to the very end of the terminal, I notice that my flight information was not listed at the gate and there was no plane. I knew there had to be a mistake, so I looked for the departure screens and could only find the Southwest departures. I finally found a Delta representative at a different gate, explained my situation and asked her was gate my flight was departing from. She responded back by saying, "You must have had a gate change, because your flight is leaving from gate E76." This was not a short jaunt, so I started on the path back and knew I needed to hurray, as this was in the international terminal, past terminal 2, up and down a couple of escalators from both terminal 1 and the international terminal. I knew I was on a time line because this was the only flight out to Ontario this morning and if I missed my flight, there were going to be a lot of unhappy people waiting for me. Considering I am so athletic (not really) and I was wearing my best running shoes (high heels), I ran all the way to the correct gate and made my flight. I was one of the last people to board and I didn't think it was cold outside anymore, even though it was slightly snowing.
After my training day was over, Jared picked me up and we spent the rest of the weekend together.
Saturday morning I received an unexpected text from Madison, which read "I want you home, Daddy is mean." This completely caught me off guard, as I am the mean one and Dan is the nice one. So I sent her a text back asking what was going on. She then replied that Dad was making them do lots of chores and doing inspections, so if they weren't done well enough, he would make them redo them. I sent back another text, saying Is this really your father? I was quite pleased and couldn't believe it as was, that Dan was making them clean the house, so when I returned it would all be done. It made me truly happy! (and boy did he give them a lot of chores) We talked with Dan later that morning and ask him what he was doing, we laughed when he told us, he was watching TV as the kids worked. He did mop the floor, which was fantastic.
We knew the weather on Saturday was going to be rainy, so wanted to take advantage of going to the beach on Sunday, as the weather was supposed to clear up. To our surprise, Saturday actually turned out to be a good day as well. It rained in the early morning and then it stopped! We ventured out to Downtown Disney, so I could get a few things for the kids and bring them back some treats. While shopping, I mentioned to Jared, how fun it would be to take a picture that looked like we went to Disneyland and send it to Madi. My treats would just reinforce that I was actually here. We got kind of giddy about the idea and walked over to the gates to take a few shots. When we had some that looked convincing, we forwarded them to Madi's cell phone. Her first response was "I hate you". Jared sent her another picture and so it continued. We laughed all afternoon. Madi even sent a picture of a snowman they built (even though they really didn't build it) just to show how great the weather was in SLC.
That evening I sent Jared and Erin out to a movie, not having family close by, I know they don't get a chance to get out much. Katilyn and I read stories for about an hour before I put her to bed. She is just a good little girl. So well behaved and super polite. I enjoyed spending time with her (I was like her new best friend over the weekend and it was fun)
The following day we went over to Newport Beach and walked along the boardwalk for a while, we played on the beach and had lunch on the pier at Ruby's Diner. We drove over to Balboa island and up the Pacific Coast Highway before I headed back home. While on the beach, Jared sent another picture to Madi - This one entitled "I took your mom, to the church of Jared this week, I think she is converted. Madi wanted to know what the church of Jared was, so Jared let her know it was the beach. Madi wanted to be converted too.
Reagan has renamed herself "Reagan Olivia Galli California Girl." She has been calling herself this for quite some time, due to the Katy Perry song, California Girls. If she could only be here at the beach, she would know exactly why, she added California girl to the end of her name.
Of all the times I have been to California I have never visited the beach during the summer, it is always a little too cold for swimsuits; after today I am determined to bring my family back when it is hot and enjoy the miles and miles of beautiful beach together.
One thing I was really looking forward to this weekend, was to relax and just enjoy myself (away from the hustle and bustle of my own life) MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! I was truly able to reflect on how I need to slow my life down a little and enjoy the quality things in life, with my family. I really admire Jared and Erin and the quality time they spend with Katilyn. I love there Sunday morning routine of listening to music (We listened to a variety of Broadway tunes). They truly are wonderful parents and seem to have it all together. Their life revolves around that little girl and you can tell how much they love and adore her. Her adoration of them is amazing as well, which is why I think she is so sweet. It really made me miss my kids and want to spend some good, quality time with them at home, just being with one another.
I can't say that Jared hasn't rubbed off on her at all, Katilyn says "hi" and "bye" to the picture of Chuck Norris on the wall, every time she leaves or returns home. It is hysterical!
I'm so glad I got the chance to spend some time with their family. Most of the time when we see Jared and Erin, it is on our turf and they mix into our lives here in Utah. It was great to see them in their element and be in their home. I felt welcomed and loved and couldn't of ask for a better weekend with them!



No comments:
Post a Comment