Sunday, February 13, 2011

VALENTINE SURPRISE WITH HILARY WEEKS

I received the best gift on Saturday night from my husband. He planned a night out with a group of our friends and family. We started out the night with dinner reservations at Carvers and then the plan was to come to our house for a night of game playing. Little did I know what he really had planned or tricks he had up his sleeve.

When we arrived home, I led everyone down the stairs and there standing in my basement was Hilary Weeks. I was so shocked that I did a double take, no a triple take because I couldn't believe that Hilary was standing in front of me. (I thought this is not possible, I even muttered something out loud like - "No, This can't really be." Hilary responded back with "Yes, it really is." Inside I knew I recognized her, but I kept second guessing myself because things like this don't happen.

 
Posted by Picasa
Dan had arranged for her to come and do a private concert in our home! He first contacted her manager back in December, after he looked up some information and saw that she had done some private concerts in the past. He knew how much I loved the music of Hilary Weeks (after all she serenades him in the shower a few times a week) and decided to investigate a little further. He had conversations with Hilary, in trying to set up a good time, and two weeks ago they finalized the date. While we were at dinner, she arrived with her husband Tim and they started setting up in my basement. My parents and children kept them company until we arrived.

 
Posted by Picasa
What a fantastic night it was, one I will always remember for many reasons.

1. I will never forgot how much my husband truly loves me! For him to know my interests and to take it upon himself to put this evening together, meant so much to me. I makes me realize he would be willing to do anything for me and that he wants me to be happy. He is amazing!

2. Hilary music fills my soul. The words of her songs are so inspiring and have lifted me up in hard times and made me sing out loud on many other occasions.

3. Hilary was very down to earth and so interested in our family and my friends. She was easy going, funny (quick witted to say the least) and shared so many wonderful stories with us about her and also about how some of her songs were inspired.

4. I was surrounded by the people I love and care about, both friends and family. It was a wonderful night, and I got the opportunity to be with the ones I love.

Hilary has a new book coming out called "Bedtime and Nap time" the book includes a CD with all of her fun parody's about being a mom. I was fortunate to receive the every first copy of the book. She handed it to me during the concert and told me even her mother didn't have it yet.

During the middle of the concert Hilary stated she was going to sing "If I Only Had Today." She told us a story about how this song was written in an airplane and then told us a story of how she connected with a passenger on a different flight because she played this song for him. Well this happens to be my favorite Hilary Weeks song and I said it out loud. She then invited me to sing it with her, then she decided I was going to sing it for the group. She even pulled out the lyrics and sat down. I love to sing, and what an opportunity this was; however singing in front of the woman who wrote the song and with no practice or warning I was nervous to say the least. I pulled it together and sang, with my nerves (I'm absolutely sure I slaughtered the song) but I'm so glad I didn't back out, I would have regretted it for weeks.

After singing, Hilary went on with the concert and sang another favorite of mine. "Just Let Me Cry". She told us about a lady who had cancer and how she has sent them the minus tracks for her music so they could sing together. She received a letter later from the family about her death and about the memories they had singing her music together. The family knew they would get through this difficult time, however ended the letter by saying, "Just Let Us Cry."

Hilary was only supposed to stay for an hour - but we had such a great time together that we visited after the concert, took pictures and she signed every ones Cd's and books.

 
Posted by Picasa
I can't say enough about this amazing night. Hilary made me feel extremely special - I was floored that she would take a vested interest in me, my family and friends. She was just as excited about performing as Dan was about her coming.

Now when I listen to her music, I get a personal reminder about the woman behind the music and I love it even more because of the person she is, the testimony she shares, and the love she has for others!

This night will go down in the history books for me as the best date ever!

1 comment:

Kacey said...

Way to go Dan! Seriously, that is awesome. That is so cool she would come to your house and do that. And I'm sure you did not slaughter her song...you have a gorgeous voice!! What a perfect date/gift night!!