Sunday, February 20, 2011

VALENTINES DAY



I wanted to make Valentines Day special this year for my kids, so I started off the morning by making Heart shaped muffins (they didn't tun out so good, they looked more like kidney beans). The kids enjoyed them any way and off to school they went.

After they left for school, Reagan and I decorated their rooms with crepe paper, balloons, heart sticky notes all over the walls, valentines confetti, candy and banners. (They looked rally cute; hover it took much longer than I thought it would). Reagan was so excited to help me, I told her it was going to be a surprise for the kids when they got home from school. When I thought I was done and started putting things away, Reagan asked "When are we going to decorate my room?" I told her it wouldn't be a surprise and she quickly responded back saying "It will be a surprise mom!" I asked her what she wanted in her room, and she wanted it the same and Madi and Jaxson. So off we went to decorate her room together. She loves being bog like "her kids."

During the middle of decorating, I was preparing heart shaped rolls and red jello in heart molds. I also put the kids valentines cards and presents together, to give to them at dinner time.

Then off to Jaxson's classroom party I went. The hour and a half I was there zoomed by because because I was so busy helping the kids put together their valentines envelopes to hold all their goodies. (Don't even ask, how long it took me to put them together before the party. I spend a couple of late nights cutting, punching holes, cutting hearts and yarn to make it easy for them.) Sometimes I forget that it takes kids 3 times as long to get things done, versus myself. They envelopes did end up being adorable and the kids really enjoyed putting them together and decorating them.

When I arrived home, I started preparing chicken cordon bleu and mashed potatoes for dinner. I decorated the table and put candles out, with the kids valentines present on their plates (A book and a card). I had heart straws and made a raspberry sherbet drink with pink lemonade and sprite. I mashed the potatoes and colored them pink. Looking at them on our plates, it almost looked like dessert. I invited my parents over for dinner, so the seven of us enjoyed a candle light dinner in the dining room. All the food was delicious!

For family night, we did a scripture chase and looked for scriptures with the word heart in them. I gave the family the page number and the first person to find the scripture got a conversation heart. There are over 1200 scriptures with the word heart in them and only around 360 with the work love. Very interesting facts!

After our short lesson we played some valentines games including bingo, stacking conversation hearts, steal my heart (moving conversation hearts from one bowl to another by using chopsticks). We also played heart target with darts! We ended the evening with some peppermint cheesecake that my mom brought over, it was YUMMY!

The kids were so excited about the decorations in there rooms that, they wouldn't let me take down the decorations for a week.

It was such a fantastic day, I thoroughly enjoyed doing these fun activities for my kids! What will I do next year?

No comments: